In the spirit of trying new things, I’ve been spending a lot of my studio time painting over the past few weeks. I did some experimenting translating my finger puppet characters to paint earlier this year, and made a little set of painted blocks for Henry’s birthday in March. The blocks were actually some that I bought over my maternity leave with the idea of making a mobile for the kiddo’s nursery. Two years later I finally got around to actually doing something (totally different) with them ; )
The wood surface has been much more fun to work on than the paper I’d been trying out earlier, so I ordered some larger blocks online and have been playing around with those lately. I made some alphabet blocks, which I didn’t really like, and some animal puzzle blocks, which I like a lot more.
The biggest challenge so far has been that paint can be worked and re-worked over and over nearly endlessly. With felt, I learned (the hard way, mostly) that the material won’t really take any recutting and only minimal restitching, so you pretty much have one shot to get it right. I’m still figuring out the limitations of the paint, and learning to convince myself that a few imperfections can actually be a good thing.
I’m also still researching to try to find the perfect finish for these blocks. It’s been more of a challenge than I expected to get a non-toxic finish that’s more matte than glossy. And in the meantime, the menagerie in the studio keeps growing and growing!